By William Logan, M?iréad Nic Craith, Ullrich Kockel
A better half to history Studies is a accomplished, state of the art survey of the interdisciplinary examine of cultural heritage.
- Outlines the main subject matters of study, together with cultural upkeep, environmental safety, global history and tourism, ethics, and human rights
- Accessibly prepared right into a monstrous framework-setting essay via the editors through 3 sections on increasing, utilizing and abusing, and recasting heritage
- Provides a state-of-the-art consultant to rising developments within the box that's that's worldwide in scope, cross-cultural in concentration and important in approach
- Features contributions from a global array of students, together with a few with broad adventure in historical past perform via UNESCO international historical past Centre, ICOMOS, and nationwide historical past systems
Read Online or Download A Companion to Heritage Studies PDF
Similar cultural books
Past Bollywood is the 1st accomplished examine the emergence, improvement, and value of up to date South Asian diasporic cinema. From a feminist and queer standpoint, Jigna Desai explores the hybrid cinema of the "Brown Atlantic" via a detailed examine motion pictures in English from and approximately South Asian diasporas within the usa, Canada, and Britain, together with such well known motion pictures as My attractive Laundrette, fireplace, Monsoon marriage ceremony, and Bend it Like Beckham.
"This survey offers a thematic worldwide heritage of pop culture concentrating on the interval because the finish of the second one international warfare. Raymond F. Betts considers the speedy diffusion and "hybridization" of pop culture because the results of 3 stipulations of the realm because the finish of worldwide battle : instant communications, frequent intake in a market-based economic climate and the visualization of truth.
What does it suggest to be male within the twenty first Century? Award-winning artist Grayson Perry explores what masculinity is: from intercourse to energy, from model to occupation customers, and what it could actually become—with illustrations all through. during this witty and beneficial new ebook, artist Grayson Perry trains his willing eye at the international of fellows to invite, what kind of guy could make the area a greater position?
- The Graying of the Raven: Cultural & Sociopolitical Significance of Algerian Folk Poetry
- Intangible Heritage Embodied
- Public Sector Organizations and Cultural Change
- Avarizia. Le carte che svelano ricchezza, scandali e segreti della chiesa di Francesco
- Chaos & Cyber Culture
Additional info for A Companion to Heritage Studies
Drawing lessons for cultural property protection from this experience, Benjamin Isakhan (Chapter 19) details the policies and protocols of the US‐dominated coalition toward Iraq’s important monuments and museums, and discusses the obstacles and challenges that face the Iraqi government. Updating Isakhan’s analysis, it has to be said that the renewed air strikes on Iraq in late 2014 do not bode well for civilian populations (“collateral damage”), their embodied, once living intangible heritage, or their tangible places and artifacts.
And de la Torre, M. (2000) Report on Research. In Values and Heritage Conservation. Los Angeles: Getty Conservation Institute, pp. 3–11. Barthel‐Bouchier, D. (2013) Cultural Heritage and the Challenge of Sustainability. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press. , and Thrasher, T. (eds) (2008) The Land Has Memory: Indigenous Knowledge, Native Landscapes, and the National Museum of the American Indian. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press/Museum of the American Indian/Smithsonian Institution.
Appropriately contextualizing cultural heritages in relation to place and memory has been made difficult by a widespread tendency to treat cultural differences as mere constructs (Kockel and Nic Craith 2015). This is particularly apparent where we are dealing with places of pain and shame. Not all heritage serves as a reminder of a glorious past (Logan and Reeves 2009). In the Lithuanian national open air museum at Rumšiškes near Kaunas, the extensive display of farm buildings and machinery, as well as the central small town, invoke nineteenth‐ and early twentieth‐century Lithuania, but close to the center there is a clearing in the woods where the time frame is different.